Thursday, November 8, 2007

When Going to Town from Krypton Always Plan Ahead

When I lived in the Oyster Point area of Newport News, Virgina, I could be at my doctor's office, my bank, Starbucks, the book store and 4 craft stores within 10 minutes. If I forgot something, I just dashed back home for it. I love the convinance of living in that area, just not the expense.

When I moved to Kentucky, I had to change my thinking about going to town and running errands.

  • First of all there is no Starbucks within 2 hours drive of my home. Yikes!!
  • Town (Hazard) is about 25 miles and takes about 40 minutes drive time.
  • There is no dashing back home if you forget anything.
  • Hazard is not laid out so I can just go to one shopping center to get what I want. The pharmacy and bank is in one place, the grocery store another, Kmart another, doctors another, Wal-mart even another. So when you go to town you still have a lot of driving to do.
  • There is no Office Max or Office Depot, if you want a printer cartridge that Kmart, Wal-mart or Radio Shack don't have you may be able to get it from a small office supply company on Main Street where nothing else you need is.
  • There is no craft store. Since Wal-Mart is closing their craft area we will be without a craft source for at least an hour drive or more.
  • When I go to town there are always things I make sure are in my car. Extra set of clothes in case I have to change, water, food (I'm hypoglycemic), my camera -- you never know when a bear, or elk is going to cross your path and I don't want to miss it, my cell phone that only works once I get out about 10 miles, and anything else I can think of.
  • There are two ways you can get to Hazard from Krypton - one is over the Campbell's Creek mountain. It is less miles but the road has many more turns and dangerous roads or the way I usually go which is through Grapevine. My aunt took my grandmother to town the Grapevine way but coming back they went the Campbell's Creek way so they could pick up my other aunt, but when they got to the top of Campbell's Creek Mountain the road was blocked and all the cars had to turn around and go all they way back to town and around the Grapevine way to get to Krypton. So you never know how long it is going to take you to get somewhere.

It sound's like I am complaining but this is really all good. I love living in Krypton and rarely go to town -- I guess I don't need all that stuff I did before moving here. If I really feel like I am missing something, I can always go to Lexington and Lexington has everything I had before. That is usually a once a month or every other month visit.

No comments: