Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What do Dog Law, Slobber Bucket and Trains Have in Common?


Now I am by no means a train expert, but this is what I have learned since I've been in Krypton. Since the trains seem to stop right in front of my grandmother's house all the time, I asked my uncle why it would sit there and make this spitting sound for hours on end. He told me that a train engineer can only drive a train so many hours then they must stop the train and another crew will come in to move the train along again. The number of hours a crew can work is governed by the Dog Law. Since there is a train crossing just a few feet from my grandmothers house, this is where they usually stop to change crews.


The train could be stopped for hours or even over night, but they don't turn the engine off. You can here it all night making a noise that sounds like something spitting onto hot coals. Well, I found out that it does in deed spit condensation into something called a slobber bucket. Who knew that trains were this much fun!

No comments: